Friday, July 31, 2009

Counting our Blessings!

It’s been a good week for us! First off…our good friends undergoing their first round of IVF with our same Doctor found out that they are not only pregnant, but most likely with twins!! It is such awesome news for the two of them and gives us hope that this does work all the time for couples all over the world!! We are ecstatic and praying that our friends in the August cycle will have the same results and then it will be our turn!! I’m very anxious and excited to get this party started…and to turn our infertility support group into a Mommy and Me play group *smile*

Second, I saw Dr. Pearlstone on Wednesday and he showed me the lovely pictures of the inside of my uterus *gross* but confirmed that he removed several polyps and all looks good for now. He did indicate that I will likely continue to see polyps pop up from time to time, but we’re just hoping and praying September is a success and we won’t have to worry about it anymore…at least not until we’re ready to try for number 2…or 3 if twins are part of this journey…haha!

Third, I visited Christine for acupuncture twice this week…both times leaving very relaxed yet re-energized that we are doing everything we physically can to make this cycle a success! I did tell her today that I would no longer be taking the Chinese herbs she’d given me…which by the way was this powder that looked basically like dirt that I had to dissolve in hot water and then proceed to drink…ick! It was so disgusting that I literally would dry heave every time after chocking it down…and I had to do it twice a day! I was pretty proud of myself though because I had developed quite a routine…I would mix it up…add some ice cubes to cool it down…plug my nose and chug-a-lug! I tried not to look in the glass because you could see all the nasty chunks that didn’t dissolve hanging out at the bottom hoping they were going to make the plunge to my stomach…haha! As soon as I drank most of it down (usually skipping the chunks at the bottom) I would keep my nose plugged until my chaser…a glass of pink lemonade…was at my lips and I was quickly downing to try and erase the taste! It usually helped…a little! Sorry…I just had to paint that picture for you! The reason I decided to stop taking it was, after a discussion with Dr. Pearlstone about why he did not believe in herbs I was convinced that it was likely not helping me and possibly even hurting me. He mentioned a study where women undergoing IVF and taking Chinese herbs actually had a lower success rate. That in and of itself was reason enough for me…especially since I couldn’t wait to stop taking it anyway *smile*

And last, but certainly not least…yesterday we received the most wonderful news!! A friend was donating to us all of the stimulating drugs we will need for this cycle!! Our meds bill just dropped dramatically and made the large price tag of this whole process a little more bearable! We are so very grateful for their extreme generosity and thankful that God has placed so many wonderful people along side us as we trudge through the valley of infertility!! It definitely makes you stop and think that there is a reason all of this happens...and although it’s so easy to get caught up in the hurt and emotional whirlwind that infertility ignites, sometimes you have to look up in the storm and see the light shining down in the distance…because we will all get through this…and having faith and family and friends to move along with you, is the best blessing you could ever ask for!

Shot countdown…20 days!

1 comment:

  1. So excited to hear you were able to confrim the polyps were removed and that you are all ready for baby now! Come on September!!

    Your story about the herbs just about made me vomit. lol. I think that means you did a great job of illustrating what you had to do every day - not fun for sure! You were such a trooper!!

    Such a good point about our IF issues. God certainly has a plan and purpose and it's so wonderful when you can see little bits and pieces of his handiwork along the way!

    ReplyDelete